So, it’s Halloween weekend and you a) have nothing wear, b) haven’t decorated for trick-or-treaters and/or c) are fresh out of candy. Sound familiar? Don’t feel bad. We’ve all been there, and that’s why Halloween can be a ghoulish nightmare – and not in a fun way.Halloween Killer #1: No Costume
There are only about 14 people in the entire country who actually follow through on the self-made promise to “really do it right next Halloween." The rest of us convince ourselves that the perfect costume will materialize out of thin air all year, right up to an hour before the big party, and then scramble around the house with tape stuck to our eyebrows wondering where it all went wrong.It’s like saying you’re going to start exercising after the New Year. You really do mean it, but it doesn’t happen. So, what’s the answer? The on-the-spot DIY costume. Here are a five fast ideas:
Halloween Killer #2: No Home Décor
- Beat Poet: Dress all in black, where thick black-rimmed glasses and paint a goatee on your face. (If you already have beard, Bic it into the proper shape.)
- Secret Service / Government Spook: Again, dress in black, shave facial hair (if you have any), wear sunglasses and a put a cotton ball in your ear. Keep touching the cotton ball when you talk to people, or yourself.
- Rotten California Raisin: Cut a hole in the bottom of a black trash bag and pull it over your head. Wear sunglasses and white sneakers.
- Lumberjack: Wear a winter cap or hat, flannel shirt, blue jeans and boots, and add beard.
- Passed-Out Party Ghost: Cut two eyeholes in a sheet a la a “regular” ghost, then use a black marker to draw a moustache, devil horns, bad words, etc. all over it, as if the ghost passed out early at a party and got pranked.
This is another DIY situation and it’s all going to depend on what you have around the house. Worry not, though. There’s always something you can do to make things a little spookier for trick-or-treaters, especially if you’re like the rest of us and the place already looks like the third circle of hell.Here are five fast ideas for quick Halloween decorations:
Halloween Killer #3: No CandyGo to the store.
- Toilet-Paper Ghosts: Take a long strip of TP (or paper, a rag, etc.) and ball it up. Then take shorter strips of TP and drape them over the ball. Smooth them down and around, and secure at the base with a rubber band. Finally, use a marker to put eyes on them and hang them in trees, on the porch or in the bushes. Cute!
- Spider Webs: Use string to make webs in any design. You can make the fancy by tying ever-larger concentric circles and linking them together, or just crisscross it on your porch. Cute!
- Decapitated / Shrunken Head(s): Stuff an old pillowcase with whatever, tie it off and draw a grimacing face on it so the mouth is down toward the bottom. Hang it in a tree. Very disturbing!
- Makeshift Graves: Take ordinary sticks, dowels or rods and make crosses. Jam them in the ground at odd angles in the yard. Very disturbing!
- Fire: Start a fire in a barrel; leave (seemingly) unattended. Very, very disturbing!
It’s right down the street. Don’t be the guy (or gal) that gives out toothbrushes and apples. That’s what parents and the other 364 days of the year are for.Happy Halloween weekend from ATGStores.com
, and always remember that it’s okay to be a kid again, at least every once in a while.